She studied German literature and history in Freiburg, later on composition in Cologne with Joachim Ullrich and Siegfried Koepf, Maria Schneider and Jim McNeely in New York and George Russell in Boston.
Christina Fuchs received national and international rewards in composition as „Scrivere in Jazz“, Italy and the “WDR Jazzpreis” for composition. Recently she got nominated for the “German Jazz Price” in the category “Best Large Ensemble of the year”.
Photo Christina Fuchs by Volker Beushausen
She works as composer, saxophonist and clarinetist in a variety of ensembles in such divers fields as New Music, Theatre, Improvised Music and Jazz.
During the past 30 years Christina Fuchs has developed an instantly recognizable sound and a unique language as a composer. Her work includes traditional concerts as well as collaborations with other art forms, such as dance, visual arts, literature, spoken word, documentaries and theatre. What is common to all of these settings is Fuchs’ emphasis on blending written and improvised music.
She is in a leading position for her ensembles “No Tango Quartet”, “No Tango & Strings”, „Flux”, “KontraSax”, „FUCHSTHONE ORCHESTRA“ and with the musicians collective SONIQ.
Inhalt geblockt. Cookies von “Google Youtube” sind nicht zugelassen.
Einstellung ändern? Klicke -> hier!
- Residency in Canada at the Banff Centre for the Arts, 1998/1999/2000
- Member of the BMI Composers Program in NYC, 1999/2000
- Winner of the competition contest jazzart NRW, 2001
- Julius Hemphill Composition Awards for Large Ensemble (USA), 2002
- Residency at the Art Omi Music Program, New York, USA, 2003
- Residency in Nairs, Art in Engadina Bassa, Switzerland, 2004
- Commission for the NDR Radio Big Band, Hamburg, 2005
- Residency at the Künstlerhaus Lukas, Ahrenshoop/D, 2007
- Reward “WDR Jazzpreis“ for composition, 2014
- Residency at the Leighton Artists Colony, Canada, Banff Centre for the Arts, 2014
- 1st Price „Scrivere in Jazz“, composition, Italy, 2016
- 1st Price “ Seattle Annual Jazz Composition Contest” for Women Composers, USA, 2017
- Finalist at the „Neuen Deutschen Jazzpreis“ for composition, Germany. Curator: Renaud Garcia-Fons, 2019
- Finalist at the „Neuen Deutschen Jazzpreis“ for composition, Germany. Curator: Frank Möbus, 2020
- Residency at Fundaziun Nairs, Switzerland, 2020
- Nominated for the “German Jazz Price” in the category “Best Large Ensemble of the year”, 2021